The Secret of Christmas
By: Bob Aycock, Account Manager & Purveyor of Christmas Cheer
One of my favorite Christmas songs is called “The Secret of Christmas.” It was first performed by Bing Crosby in the late 50s, but there is a version by Ella Fitzgerald that I am especially fond of. There’s a line at the end of the song that states,
So, may I suggest, the secret of Christmas
Is not the things you do
At Christmas time, but the Christmas things you do
All year through
The holiday season is typically a time of year that companies show appreciation towards their clients and take time to reflect on their own accomplishments. It’s a nice way to wrap up the year and display recognition. However, you don’t have to wait until December to do this. So, may I suggest, these 5 ideas to show your gratitude all year through?
- Select a “client of the month.” Client spotlights are a great way to highlight customers who have decided to partner with your organization. It’s an easy way to show your client a little extra love—and share what your company has done for them. You can highlight them on social media, your company blog, or your website.
- Celebrate milestones. If a client has been with you six months, pick up the phone and give them a call to celebrate. Wish them a “happy anniversary” when it’s been one year—or three! As you build long-term relationships with your customers, let them know they’re still an important partner.
- Send a “thank you” note—just because. You can go old-school and send a handwritten card thanking your customers for choosing your company to work with or an email simply to check in and say thanks. And if you haven’t sent a holiday card to your clients yet, send out an e-card ASAP.
- Ask for feedback. Taking time to listen to your clients is another easy and effective way to show appreciation. Create a simple form online and email it to your customers. Then, let them know how you’re using their feedback. If they take the time to fill out a questionnaire, your company should follow up.
- Give a gift. The holidays are the ideal time of year to send a small token of appreciation to your clients—but what about Valentine’s Day or the middle of summer? Mailing your customer a “just because” gift lets them know you’re thinking about them and spending a little money to show them you care.
There are many ways to show customers you care, and we hope these ideas spark more for you. We all like to feel appreciated, and when we show others that they are important, they will think of us as important people in their lives. The handwritten card you mail today may result in another yearlong contract with that big client you have.
From all of us at Beacon, we wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas! Let’s keep the spirit of the season alive by doing Christmas things all year through.